Monday, February 1, 2016

Los Angeles, California

Home sweet home.  I didn't realize how much I missed California until I actually went to visit.  It was a great trip, and I am glad I had the chance to go.  It was fun getting to explore Los Angeles as if I were a tourist, I got to see and do things that I had missed for the past 7 months... Here we go:

I explored Beverly Hills, walking down the high fashion streets (i.e. Rodeo Drive) and window shopped...A girl can dream right?
I also spent time working on my fitness.  Have you tried Pilates? It's a hard targeted workout, and I love  Natural Pilates-the instructors are soknowledgable and every class is challenging!  It's hard to sit the next day, and I can't wait to go again on my next visit.
There are so many yummy things to eat in the Beverly Hills area, and I enjoyed everything I had missed, because in Germany these places do not exist.  I got to eat all of my favorite things:
La Scala: Chopped Leon Salad
MoMed: Butter Lettuce and Grilled Chicken Salad
Sugarfish, my ultimate favvvvorite! The warm rice and the buttery fish.  It is the best-I like the Trust Me Menu, which is: edamame, tuna sashimi, albacore sushi, salmon sushi, yellowtail sushi, halibut sushi, snapper sushi and a toro and blue crab roll.
GoGreek Yogurt with Sour Cherrys
Teuschers chocolate shop (I would love to go to the headquarters in Switzerland one day, hint hint Jordan).  I love the decor, they have the most beautiful store, and their packaging is so delicate and cute.  Besides, their butter crunch truffle is SO good-smooth chocolate and a bit of crunch.
One thing I was looking forward to doing for months prior to my arrival back into the states was to work. I was lucky that my wish came true.  I really missed scaling teeth, it was such a good feeling holding instruments in my hand and putting them to good use! 
I love that I got to see some of my favorite patients. If I could come home more often to work I would do it in a heartbeat.  I enjoyed the livelihood of my dental crew, and we celebrated assistant Eddie's birthday with a singing cake. 
It was great to work alongside my dad, and getting to watch some dentistry under general anesthesia. 
My mom and spent some time in downtown LA.  
Check out the coolest building: The Disney Concert Hall
Every time I go downtown there is so much change happening-new renovations, new restaurants and new things to see, so we went to The Broad museum, it was incredible.  Mr. Broad's art collection is pretty amazing, much of which used to be pieces he had hanging in his house. I was thoroughly impressed! Here are some of the things we saw:
Andy Warhol: Campbells Soup; Jasper Johns: Flag; Glenn Ligon: Double American 2
Jeff Koons: Tulip, Blue Dog, and Rabbit
One of the installations that I particularly enjoyed was the Infinity Mirrored Room.  It was a mirror-lined room with a dazzling and seemingly endless display of little glowing LED twinkle lights.  If you go to see this exhibit, make sure you get your ticket to enter the room right when you walk in, because each person gets to go in alone for 45 seconds.
We went to The Boiling Crab, which is a fun experience (as long as you don't mind dirty hands) and it's so flavorful! I love the whole experience of wearing a bib and eating with your hands.  The spices are intense, they will definitely make your temperature rise! I'm glad I got to get messy with my mom.
I spent time visiting with my nieces and nephews. Some highlights were making cookies with Georgia, playing Old Maid with Leo and Vanden, chasing after Quinn, and meeting baby Zeke.
I loved seeing with my sweet Grandma Syl.  I am so impressed by her texting skills as a 90 year old, and I taught her how she can read up on our blog.  She's so cute, I love her so much.
I spent time with my Aunt.  We caught up on her exciting past travels, and I got to catch her up on where we have been lately.  She took me to the travel book store where we got some ideas for future travels, and a cool map of Lisbon.  I hope someday I can go on an adventure with her!
It's a good thing she likes food too. We went to Blue Plate Oysterette and enjoyed a seafood tower and fish tacos!
Close by is great place for a casual stroll: The Grove, it's like a Disneyland for adults.  Some fine dining, a trolly ride, and shopping.  It was a beautiful day to visit and look at the water show and check out the shops.
I had heard about the restaurant Sweet Greens, which was close to the Grove, so I went. They have great salads, I had a portobello mushroom, squash and wild rice salad with a lemonade-Wow! I wish I could make it on my own.
It wouldn't be a complete visit home without a trip to Korea town.  I love the little side dishes that Koreans eat; the glass noodles and spicy kimchi are my favorite.  Park BBQ is where it's at!
And for a dessert a friend and I tried MILK ice cream shop.  We had the best macaroon filled ice cream sandwiches: a Thai Tea and Red Velvet for the win!
I made a visit to the beach towns: Santa Monica, Venice, and Manhattan Beach.   In Santa Monica I enjoyed walking around the 3rd Street Promenade, window shopping at some of my favorite stores: J.Crew and Lululemon.
My favorite thing about Santa Monica is The Jonathan Beach Club.  
Warm sand, blue water, and some good light reading is all it takes to create true bliss for this California girl. 

Walking down to the ocean is my favorite part!
I headed south of Santa Monica to Venice Beach; famous for their boardwalk, houses on little canals, beautiful beach, and shopper's paradise of Abbot Kinney Blvd.  It is definitely a vibrant mix of people and attractions!
For a bite of good food in Venice, there are so many restaurants to try!  I had never been to Plant, Food & Wine before and wanted to see what it was about.  Here's what we tried:
For a starter: Smashed Avocado with Za'Atar Flatbread, Herbs, Capers and Lemon
For the main event:
"Gypsy Toast" with the best coconut whipped cream I have yet to try, "Polenta Scramble" with wild mushroom and sweet potato hash, and a "Roasted Tomato Sandwich" with avocado, arugula, and avocado "mayo".
For dessert "Chlorella Olive Oil Cake" made with fennel-mint gelato, and chocolate, and fennel seed.  Later I learned that Chlorella is a green algae. Yuck!
Then even farther south to Manhattan Beach to explore the surfer scene and to walk along the famous pier. 
Ever since I have been back, I've been California dreamin!  There's nothing like catching up with family, friends, good times and relaxing.  I'm looking forward to going back again soon for a round two~!


1 comment:

  1. That butter crunch truffle looks delicious! But so does everything else that you eat!! What a great trip coming home. Xo

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top