Saturday, April 23, 2016

Bolesławiec, Poland

Before moving to Germany, I never knew that "Polish Pottery" was a thing, or that people in the States pay 100+ dollars for dishes to eat and cook from. The people that I know who use Polish Pottery swear that it is better than any Pyrex or metal baking dish, so...since we are so close to Poland, I joined the bandwagon and a few of us girls took a quick trip across the boarder to Bolesławiec, Poland to shop for some of this fine handcrafted material.
We left after work and arrived at the Elim Mission Center for the night (the drive was about 5 hours).  It was dark when we arrived, but the rooms were super cute, so I could only imagine what the outside of this fine establishment looked like.  It felt like a princess castle, and was a perfect place to get our  beauty sleep before we shopped till we dropped!  I was impressed that we only paid 12 euro a person to sleep here!
Really pretty in the daylight too,  Now off to the land of pottery!
These were some of the places we went to: Andy's, Henry's, Ceramika, Manufactura and so many others (there is a list at the bottom of the post with details)! You can never shop at too many Polish Pottery stores right?
It is so cute as outdoor garden decor
So many designs to choose from! They should warn you the feeling of being overwhelmed is a side effect of the so many choices. Styles, pieces and designs oh my!
Not all Polish Pottery is created equal, they are sorted into different categories (Gat) of quality.  If you look at the bottom of any piece, you will see the Gat number, here's what it means:
There's more to look through
Polish Pottery is made from clay, molded by hand.  Each factory has its own molding process. Everything is painted by hand with brushes, rubber stamps, and sponges.  It is really rather exacting!
So much detail to make it look perfect
Nice displays
Valentines Day Pottery anyone?
I have an enormous crush on Polish Pottery
I think I know who they cater to...army wives?
I made out like a bandit on this trip, I picked up some great pieces of pottery that I will use often. Take a look at my loot:
Butter dish from Ceramika Artystyczna
 Serving platter from Henry's...It will be great for salads or pasta 
Deep dish 8x8 casserole from Andy's
My favorite piece, a taco platter from Andy's
No trip of mine would ever be complete without local cuisine.  Poland's traditional foods is some of the best in Europe! So delicious and comforting. We went to a delicious restaurant Opałkowa Chata. Just the thought of the food there makes me hungry all over again.   Thanks Paige for this picture, sorry you're not in it, but you're a great photographer.
Starter #225.  Buraczana polewka z uchami: traditional beet soup with little mushroom dumplings
 Main course: #54 Opałkowa micha: A variety of pierogis, and no matter the filling you can't go wrong!
If you like the pictures I took on this trip, and are interested in the shops we went to, here is a list of where I recommend spending your Zlaty:

1. Andy: Tomaszów Bolesławiecki 111A
2. Ceramika Boleslawiecka "Kalich": Czerna 32, 59-730 Nowodrodziec
3. Ceramika: Czerna 39
4. Manufaktura: ul. Gdańska 30, 59-700 Bolesławiec
5. Manufaktura Shop: ul. Kościuszki 24b
6. Henry's: ul. Masarska 1, 59-700 Bolesławiec
7. Ceramika Artystyczna: ul. Kościuszki 23, 59-700 Bolesławiec
8. Zakłady Ceramiczne: ul. Kościuszki 23, 59-700 Bolesławiec

This is only a start to something dangerous, I'll be back to expand my collection!


3 comments:

  1. You didn't show me the butter dish or bowl!! I'm in love. Take me!! Please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the colors, sizes and shapes. What a fun way to cook instead of using a boring pyrex. One more destination to add to my growing list! Xo

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top