Thursday, December 31, 2015

Esztergom, Hungary

Just 30 miles north of Budapest is the town of Esztergom.  Esztergom was the Hungarian capital before it was moved to Buda (in the mid 13th century). Today it is the seat of the Roman Catholic Church and Constitutional Court of Hungary.
Our first destination was to the Basilica.
It's impressive to see beautiful architecture and art created in the early 1800's.  I think I have a thing for beautiful ceilings...because I sure take a lot of pictures of them.
I like the gold leaf detail they used...
but really, aren't they gorgeous?!?

We went into the crypt to see the tomb of Cardinal Joseph Mindszenty
And then we went to check out the views...There's a great panoramic view of the city from the top of the building, you can even see across the river to Slovenia on the other side.
Esztergom was a great place to visit on our way back from Budapest. I'm glad we make it out to see its sights!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top