Friday, October 23, 2015

Garmisch & Oberamergau Germany

We enjoyed a whole week in the German Alps while Jordan took a continuing education course...or maybe I should rephrase that; while Jordan took a continuing education course, I got to enjoy a week in the German Alps. Our home base for the week was the Edelweiss Lodge & Resort.
Edelweiss, Edelweiss,
Every morning you greet me
Small and white clean and bright
You look happy to meet me! 
We went on a hike through the Leautasch Spirit Gorge
There was a suspended metal walkway hanging out from the cliff overlooking the gorge. 
Beautiful clear water.
Looking down at the gorge was beautiful.  Nature is truly magnificent but the heights are not for the faint of heart!

                                                          While Jordan was hard at work I explored the beautiful meadows.
I love Bavaria.  There is so much open land, and so many farm animals.
My favorite animal was definitely the sheep.  You could hear them half-a-mile away; they had cow bells attached to their collars and they made lots of noise! They were very friendly, and came right up to the fence to say hello.
Check them out!
The country side is so peaceful, it makes me want to get out and enjoy the scenery... Hence some friends and I went on a hike to the Partnach Gorge.
The hike wasn't difficult, but we had to stop often to admire all of the scenic views.  Walking along the gorge was really cool too. We went in and out of small tunnels, and got a little wet as we followed the raging water.
                                       The town of Garmisch is great to explore.  They had lots of boutique clothing stores, and souvenir shops.  
                                                                                         Not to mention...a great bakery too!
The nightlife in Garmisch was pretty spectacular...we definitely provided all sorts of entertainment. Check it out below.
                                                                
When Jordan finished learning about drilling and filling we spent time together in Garmisch and the neighboring town of Oberamergau.  We stayed at a nice bed and breakfast for the night in Oberamergau called Gästehaus Attenhauser.

                                              All of the stores and houses in Oberamergau are hand-painted.  I loved all the detail!
We went on a great 6-hour hike, up into the alps from Hammersbach to Kreuzeck. Here we are getting ready to start.
 We walked along beautiful streams of fresh clear water
Half way up the mountian Jordan and I stopped to look at the gorge cutting through...and also to snack on some gummy bears.
 But nothing felt  quite as good as making it to the top where we had beautiful views of the valley below.
After all of the hiking we came back down to civilization by gondola. Walking through the fields we saw lots of cows, and some even introduced themselves to us.  This one I named "non-fat".
We stopped at a delicious restaurant, Gasthof zur Rose, before heading home.  Jordan had a great looking meat platter and I enjoyed a venison goulash. Our bellies were full, and our legs were tired!
The conclusion of our trip was a highlight.  I didn't realize that I hadn't paid for our Bed and Breakfast ahead of time, and silly me, I also didn't realize that they didn't take credit cards.  Well, we were a little short on Euro bills, so we had to pay the last 15 Euros to the family in coins.   they probably thought we were peasants.   We had a lot of fun, I can't wait to go back next year for Jordan's next convention!


4 comments:

  1. We sure are different. I don't like Bavaria and I cannot even imagine stepping on that bridge without feeling anxious. Definitely not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a must to add to my bucket list! What a beautiful place - the hikes look amazing and the food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a must to add to my bucket list! What a beautiful place - the hikes look amazing and the food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like it would be hard to be vegetarian in Germany.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top